Summary of Project
A renovation to some key areas of one of the top specialist institutions in the UK was required. The Guildhall School of Music and Drama is one of the world’s leading conservatoires and drama schools with a student population of around 900 in Music, Acting, and Technical Theatre. The reputation of the teaching and the research in this prestigious institution is unrivalled with graduates consistently going on to have great success at top levels in the profession’s they’ve chosen.
The works comprised of the renewal, adaption, and/or extension of the lighting, emergency lighting and general power installations to several key areas. The lighting and power had served various areas on the Lower Ground Floor, Second Floor, and Recital Theatre but required extensive renovation work. All work was required to be completed whilst the rest of the facilities remained in full use.
Scope of Works
- Rewiring of all existing lighting circuitry back to the local distribution board, generally utilising existing containment.
- Replacement of all existing luminaires
- Rewiring of existing emergency lighting circuitry back to the existing central battery system located within the basement
- Replacement of all existing emergency luminaires and addition of new where existing coverage was insufficient
- Rewiring of all small power circuitry back to the local distribution boards
- Replacement of all small power accessories
- Installation of new 2 compartment dado trunking to facilitate the small power and telephone / data installation
Site Address: Guildhall School of Music and Drama, Silk Street, London, EC2Y 8DT
Programme: 9 Weeks
Client: GSMD, The Barbican Centre
Principal Contractor: Powerbase Building Services Ltd
Consultant: Beveridge Associates Partnership Ltd
Architect: SW Bruce & CO. Ltd
Project Value: £150,000